According to CBS, “Up to 75 percent of the American population lives in chronic dehydration.”
Chronic dehydration can cause small inconveniences like dry or flaky skin, all the way up to fatigue, muscle weakness, headaches, kidney stones, and many other problems. Every single cell, muscle and organ in our bodies require water. Water is also crucial in regulating our internal temperature and performing other critical bodily functions. One of these essential functions is waste management. Without water, our bodies would not be able to flush out the toxins that we ingest. Since we lose water by breathing, sweating, and digesting, we must replenish and rehydrate daily. One of the best things we can do for ourselves is to start out the day with a tall glass of warm lemon water. Drinking lemon water in the morning can have incredible benefits on the body and we want to share the top five most important ones with you! Be sure to share this list with your friends and family!
Hydrate your mind, body, and soul
Hydration can make a huge impact on your mental health and your mood! Since water is what helps cells flow to your brain, maintaining a proper hydration should be number one on your to-do list!
- Lemons are one of nature’s most effective cleaning agents and aid in digestion, detoxification, and help to clean the liver. The acid in lemon juice helps to break down your food more efficiently, making it easier for your body to extract maximum nutrients from every meal.
2. Immune Boosting and pH balancing
- Lemons are rich in Vitamin C, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium. Lemons are also full of antiviral and antibacterial properties which can help protect the body from Immune system deficiencies. Drinking lemon water every morning helps in maintaining the pH balance of the body because lemons are alkaline.
- Lemon juice with warm water helps keep us hydrated as it provides electrolytes to the body, which help to absorb water. Over time, failure to drink enough water can contribute to dehydration and can lead to fatigue, joint pain, weight gain, headaches, ulcers, high blood pressure, kidney disease, and feeling lousy!
4. Your Breath
- We all know that after a long night’s sleep, your breath isn’t always inviting, but the citric acid in lemons contains antibacterial properties that can kill the bacteria that causes bad breath.
5. Weight Loss
- Lemon juice with warm water helps weight loss as it promotes fullness, supports hydration, digestion, and increases metabolic rate. If you’re trying to eat less, filling up with lemon water can give you that satisfaction of having a full stomach and a clean pallet.
We hope this list has given you insight on the importance of taking a few minutes to start your day off right and gain all of the benefits that come from incorporating lemon water into your daily routine.
Download our poster to help remind you of the benefits of staying hydrated.Download PDF
Armstrong LE. (2012). Challenges of linking chronic dehydration and fluid consumption to health outcomes. DOI:[Text Wrapping Break]10.1111/j.1753-4887.2012.00539.x
What causes kidney stones? (n.d.).[Text Wrapping Break]urologyhealth.org/urologic-conditions/kidney-stones/causes