Not all food is created equal!
Dietary factors are critical to proper neuronal functions in the brain. Hence the statement, “you are what you eat”. Hormones produced in the stomach and released after the consumption of certain foods will play a critical role in the cognitive function of our brains. This means that if we want our minds to operate at full capacity, we should be more conscious and selective with the foods we ingest. No, we don’t have to cut out all of the food we love, but we should also incorporate nutrient-rich fare as much as possible. So, what types of food should we be eating? We’ve come up with a list of the top ten best items to look out for next time you get ready to shop.
The Top Ten
- Fatty Fish
- Dark Chocolate
- Nuts and Seeds
Download and print our brain boosting shopping list and make your next shopping trip a breeze.
Over the years, diet, in conjunction with other aspects of daily living, will play a critical role in shaping cognitive capacity and brain maturation. As we continue to learn more about the biological effects that certain nutrients have on our most important organ (the brain), we should actively seek out the foods that will continue to keep our minds enhanced, sharpened, and active.
A deeper look.
1. Fatty fish are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids that improve the structure of cells found in the brain.
Types of fatty fish:
2. Berries have excellent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant qualities.
Types of nutrient-rich berries:
3. Turmeric contains curcumin, which has been shown to cross the blood-brain barrier, meaning it can directly enter the brain and benefits the cells there.
4. Broccoli contains high levels of Vitamin K and antioxidants, which boost brain health.
5. Dark chocolate contains flavonoids that regulate cell activity in the brain.
6. Nuts and seeds contain healthy fats, antioxidants, and vitamin E.
7. Oranges contain Vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant that helps regulate and prevent the damage of cells that exist in our brain.
8. Avocados are a great source of healthful unsaturated fat, which supports the brain.
9. Kale is a superfood that contains many vitamins and minerals that can prevent cognitive decline.
10. Eggs contain vitamins and folic acid, which recent research suggests prevents brain shrinkage and cognitive decline.